Friday, May 27, 2011

A Happy Poem (at last... I know!)

I am answering a challenge poem from Laurie J., a high school friend of mine. She liked the poem I posted yesterday, but asked that the next poem be about puppydogs and rainbows. Well, Laurie...I hope this fits the bill. Let me know what you think.

Puppydogs and Rainbows

Rainbows don’t fetch balls or Frisbees
Don’t come when you call
They run from you
Then disappear into dark
Swollen angry clouds.
Rainbows aren’t loyal companions,
Just reminders that it is raining on your day.

Puppydogs aren’t prisms of hope.
They have wet fur smell when coming in from the rain
Tracking mud across the carpet
Chewing anything in reach
Not a pot of gold in sight.
Just poop that needs cleaning up.

Let us dismiss the need for both.
We are not children anymore.
The days of kites and wonder are gone.
(Oh, who am I trying to fool?)

When my dogs lick my chin
(as if nothing else could be as important)
Then no leprechaun’s loot can compare.
The colors of joy and play in their eyes
Flopping ears arcing and dancing
Sniffing every blade of grass
As we walk about after a spring shower
Defines the hope for our tomorrows.

And let me tell you of rainbows.
Showing us that all will be well.
Decorating the storms in our lives
So we won’t be so afraid
Of the thunder in our future.
They come when we don’t call them.
Leave when we can see the sun again.
That, my friends, is loyalty.

Puppydogs and rainbows save the child in us all.

_____________________________________

Take time to hug your pet and dream of rainbow gold.
Take care of each other.

orn b.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete