Friday, July 30, 2010

Love

For the next few weeks I will be sharing thoughts about romantic love. Most are about the love I have for my wife. (She said it would be okay to share them). Since many of them aren't very long, I would like to show three poems today. The first two are poems I wrote to my wife after we got married.

Reasons To Watch For Morning

So easily the twilight turned the rushing day
To a shy, peaceful horizon
That we stumbled full gait into darkness.
Balanced tip-toe on the lip of night.
Held out our terror for the wind to taste.
Waited for empty black
To overtake the heels of life.
Someone screamed that day had been lost.
That no one would see the sunrise.
That heaven had been taken from us
Just when we needed it most.
With the last whisper of sun slipping my touch
I see you reach for me.
And the night is but an unborn tomorrow.
Twilight is a kiss from an almost forgotten day.
You give me reasons to watch for morning.
Until I hold you
I forget these things.
____________________________________
Mr. Webster

Mr. Webster defines love
As easily as I can see
Your smile in me.
He went on - next word, small print.
I lingered on love.
For me, your picture would have sufficed.
Good thing I’m not Webster.
Having you defines my life.
You are the language of my love.
The rest of the world can wait.
I’ll write my books on you.
__________________________

This last poem is written about two very good friends of mine, Shell and Raf. Seeing them together, in love, is such a treat. It leaves me grinning...and feeling young.

No Need for Cupid

Telling lies to a blind sun,
To a dark-deafened moon,
Life would have heaven hear
Our excuses why love fails.

The sun understands how
Flailing for another’s touch
Burns us as we clench our eyes shut,
Never seeing beyond our solitary shadows.

The moon knows the cold silence of night,
How it deafens us to words we need most.
Mute, we swallow with fear (our feeling words)
Until we are one with the lies of our lives.

Raf (brown-eyed and grinning)
With pirate intent, takes Shell in a gaze that undoes
The falsehoods of existence.

Shell holds her pirate close
(no flailing here).
Makes exception her rule.

Loving laughing tenderness,
There is no need for Cupid.
Hand in hand, a private joke,
To call each other “stupid”.

Heaven has no excuses.
It begins to understand that when
Raf and Shell unwrap their gifts
(each others’ hearts),
Everyday is Christmas.
__________________________

Hope you liked these poems as much as I enjoyed writing them. Speak your feeling words to someone you love. They need to be heard almost as much as you need to say them. Until next week, take care.
b

No comments:

Post a Comment